NEW! Faster Search Option
A few weeks ago I wrote about my garage-sale Stanley #80 scraper plane. Though it had obviously been heavily used it wasn't very well set up. So I did a little filing here, a little tweaking there...
Worst of all was the blade: it needed to be replaced. Not just because it was pitted and out of square, but also because it was so thin--about as thin as a medium gauge card scraper. I checked out the Hock blade, but it cost just a dollar or two less than a brand new #80. So I made my own replacement blade out of a very thick card scraper. It worked very well.
Someone responded to my post (sorry, I've forgotten who it was) saying that he had recently bought a new #80 and its blade was very thick and stout, much too thick to be used by hand.
Whoever wrote that post, thank you.
At about five dollars I could afford to experiment. I added a Stanley replacement blade to an order I had at HH.
It arrived today. The person who wrote about it was correct in every detail: the Stanley replacement blade was VERY heavy, very thick and stout. I couldn't wait to see how it worked. I stoned the bevel (it needed it) and turned an edge. I did a side by side comparison test between the new Stanley and the blade I had made on a piece of nasty walnut. The Stanley worked better!
So, again, whoever wrote that note, thank you.