NEW! Faster Search Option


Flop down drawer front for computer keyboard drawer

DonC's picture

I'm making one from scratch and all wood. Got any advice on the hinges/hardware for the drawer front?

SteveSchoene's picture

One possibility for hinges (post #159601, reply #1 of 8)

One possibility for hinges would be those designed for "butler's table".

Test your finish on scrap, FIRST, or risk having to scrap your finish.

oldusty's picture

  Don ,   I used a Euro type (post #159601, reply #2 of 8)

  Don ,   I used a Euro type slide designed to flip down , the brackets are attached to the front of the slides .

          Check with Hettich or Salice or Blum dealers . Mine was ona flush inset drawer it worked fine .

                  regards , dusty

PC310028.JPG150.38 KB
RalphBarker's picture

alternative (post #159601, reply #3 of 8)

Or, you could do your own using brass or steel pins protruding from the ends of the drawer front. The bottom pin-pair would act as the hinge, and the top pair would slip into a little L-shaped in the sides of the drawer.

oldusty's picture

different aspects (post #159601, reply #4 of 8)

  The problem is the flap needs to be out of the way , a pivot type of hinge may not allow the drop down to drop below .

SteveSchoene's picture

it really doesn't need to (post #159601, reply #6 of 8)

it really doesn't need to drop down if it will supprt the key board.  I've also seen them with a wrist support pad.

Test your finish on scrap, FIRST, or risk having to scrap your finish.

oldusty's picture

Key Board Slide (post #159601, reply #8 of 8)

  hi Steve , there are several configurations that are common .

             First off if the front is attached to key board slide or only attached to the desk.

          If it only drops down flat you would need to pull the key board in and out each time you use it , depending on the hinge type this may be cumbersome at best for the user.

      regards, dusty

RalphBarker's picture

depends on design & spacing (post #159601, reply #7 of 8)

The hinge-pin style has the pin in an elongated groove so it can move upwards to allow the retainer pin at the top to escape.  The bottom edge could have a lip (rabbet) to hold it against the bottom of the drawer bottom (so it's limited to a 90° drop, like the commercial versions), or a rounded edge to drop a full 180°.

JiminFla's picture

Lee Valley makes a pair of (post #159601, reply #5 of 8)

Lee Valley makes a pair of drop front slides that are made for keyboard storage drawers.  Style #00K71.01 at  The pair sells for $10.95.